Identify & Avoid Trigger Foods
Wholesome Cravings Tip:
When you feel a trigger food calling your name, turn to these wholesome snacks and avoid a fitness relapse.
- Organic, fresh fruit: It’s sweet and won’t ruin your diet like packaged candy.
- Whole, roasted nuts: Sprinkle some sea salt on a handful of nuts and you won’t even want that bag of chips anymore.
- Wholesome, home baked goods: When a piece of fruit just isn’t going to cure your cake craving, then make a wholesome, gluten and cane sugar free cake at home. The Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake below contains wholesome fat from coconut oil and almonds that will keep you satiated for hours. See the recipe below.
Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake
Here’s a slice of cake that won’t mess with your brain chemistry. The wholesome and lightly sweet flavor will satisfy your sweet tooth and power your day with real energy. Servings: 20
Here’s what you need:
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup coconut crystals
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 organic apples, thinly sliced and chopped
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 organic eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup, grade B
- 1/4 cup organic, full fat coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease an 8×8 pan with coconut oil.
- Caramel Topping: In a small bowl combine the melted coconut oil, coconut crystals and cinnamon. Pour into the prepared pan. Evenly sprinkle the chopped apples over the caramel.
- In a medium bowl combine the coconut flour, almond flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In another medium bowl combine the eggs, vanilla, syrup, and coconut milk. Blend well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones, and then slowly mix in the melted coconut oil.
- Carefully spread the cake batter over the apples and caramel in the pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 15 minutes.
- Loosen the edges of the cake with a knife. Invert the cake by placing a plate over the top of the pan and then flipping it over.
- Slice, serve and enjoy!
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 105 calories, 7g fat, 44mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, and 3g protein